Thursday, July 7, 2011

May 28th

May 28, 2009 was the worst day ever. I lost my brother, one of my best friends, that day and my life will never be the same. Zach loved life and loved having fun. We decided instead of moping around and being sad on May 28th every year we would honor Zach by being together and having fun. Last year we didn't really plan anything but several of Zach's friends asked my parents if they could come over and just hang out so we could all be together. My dad cooked ribs and my mom and I made some sides and everyone had a nice time. This year we decided to think ahead and plan something. My parents get a monthly newsletter from Compassionate Friends which is a grief support group for parents who have lost a child. My dad was looking at the newsletter one day and it was talking about their biggest fundraiser of the year, the Firemen's 5K. He thought it might be a good thing to do to give back to Compassionate Friends and then he saw when it was - May 28th. He thought that was a sign that we should do it as a family in honor of Zach. I thought that was a great idea and thought it would be fun to have some shirts made for "Team Zach" and see if I could get more of our family and friends to do it with us. I told our family, my friends and Zach's friends and we ended up with about 45 people that day. It was awesome!
We got a double jogging stroller when we found out we were having another babe. Until little Zachy gets here Brobee fills his spot :) The walk started at 8am so we got there at 7:30 which is EARLY for Olivia. And me.


I loved seeing all those orange shirts!!!


Team Zach!


Scott & Meredith

Lindsey and I


Stephanie & Jason (Zach's BFF)


Meredith & Brenda


Willie & Clay (Zach's other 2 BFF's and fellow diesel mechanics)


Jacob & Willie


my wonderful fam :)

After the walk there was a huge bus that shuttled everyone back to the starting point where all our cars were. We all stood around and talked for a little while and then Olivia got on the bus with my parents. Chris, Lara and Hayden did not walk since Lara was VERY pregnant but they were waiting for us at the finish line. So their car was there and we had a miscommunication about how we were getting back to our car. I thought Chris was driving Johnnie back to our car and then he would come pick me (and my giant stroller) up so I stayed with Lara and Hayden and so did Bridget. Then Chris, Johnnie and Dave pulled up in Lara's car. They had thought I had got on the bus. So me, Chris, Lara, Bridget, Hayden, Johnnie, Dave, a single stroller and a DOUBLE jogging stroller crammed into Lara's 4Runner. Good times. Since Johnnie and Dave are boyfriends they snuggled in the back together with the strollers.



I thought this was a cute pic that Johnnie took of Olivia following me to the car.

After the race we met Chris, Lara, Hayden, Dave & Bridget at Yogi's for brunch and then headed to Alvarado to help my parents. My dad smoked ribs and brisket again and my mom and I made some sides and we invited everyone at the race out for dinner. It was a HOT day so Olivia spent most of the day in her pool. She loved it when Poppy joined her!


I didn't take very many pics that evening but here are a few:
Richard & Alisha


Jacque & Layna


Kylie & Olivia
Mer & her dad (Kylie has always called him Papa Harse but Olivia calls him Pops) Pops makes the best homemade ice cream and he brought some out for us - YUM!


Sam, KC and Molly (She looks just like Zach's dog, Hank, b/c she is his mommy)

We had such a great time and thanks to all who did the walk with us and came out for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment